Monday, July 8, 2013

Up your nose

I get tubes stuck up my nose pretty often, mostly for photography, occasionally to burn off some obnoxious tissue, always with anesthetic. I still hate it, but that's OK, I know why it's happening, and it's with my consent. A couple of times during hospital treatment they tried to give me a feeding tube (preceded by a fairly stiff guide wire, and quite a bit thicker than the laser thing) without anesthetic (I'm sure they had a better reason than the Guantánamo doctors), and like Yasiin I cried. I can't imagine how a human being could do that to another human being against the latter's will, day after day. (My doctors gave me a stomach tube instead, under sedation.)

President Obama has said,
 “Look at the current situation, where we are force-feeding detainees who are — being held on a hunger strike,” he said in May. “Is that who we are? Is that something our founders foresaw? Is that the America we want to leave our children?”
 I guess that's your call, Mr. P. Let us know when you figure it out.
New York Telegraph Sunday Magazine, September 30 1917, clipped by Djuna Barnes. Via  Mutant Eggplant.

No comments:

Post a Comment