Thursday, January 23, 2020

For the Record: Miscellany


Twitter is like an intellectual equivalent of the southeastern Australian coast right now, deadly brush fires everywhere you turn demanding your attention so you don't know where to focus.
Trump doubling down on his belief that there were no US casualties in the Iranian raids on bases in Iraq, after the army announced that there were a number of cases of traumatic brain injury (TBI)

“I heard they had headaches and a couple of other things ... and I can report it is not very serious,” Trump said at a press conference in Davos, Switzerland....
“No, I don’t consider them very serious injuries relative to other injuries that I’ve seen,” the president said, and described meeting previously with U.S. troops wounded by roadside bombs. “I’ve seen people with no legs and with no arms. I’ve seen people that were horribly, horribly injured in that area, that war.”
made me think of another aspect of his cognitive impairment:




My son just finished his economics degree, as it happens, and he's no academic star by any means, but he knows far more than Mnuchin does about the limitations of the field.

Speaking of sons,

As I've said before, I came out to complain about Hunter Biden's Ukraine job when it became public almost six years ago, and I still think it was a stupid move, but it's ridiculous to blame him for the way the world actually is. Overpaid board members are everywhere. (Heidi Cruz in addition to having a managing directorship at Goldman Sachs as her full-time salaried job was on the Texas Business Leadership Council, the board of the Greater Houston Partnership, and the Advancement Board of the Yes Prep Public Schools of Houston.)

Incidentally everybody should read or reread this New Yorker profile by Adam Entous of Hunter Biden, which came out last July, for a little sense of how he's a (no doubt messed-up) human being. I'm still convinced there's a possibility that he should make a public appearance to talk about what his job at Burisma actually was, because there really wasn't anything particularly Ukraine-corrupt about it; anything you'd want to call corrupt in that is going on all over the United States at this very moment.

And speaking of Cruz,

No comments:

Post a Comment