Monday, April 23, 2018

Jew know what I mean?

12th-century German painting of two Jews for which I'm not finding a helpful source. Is the one on the right a little on the sleepy-eyed side?

I don't know if everybody's heard about the theory that Trump calling an NBC newscaster "Sleepy-Eyed Chuck Todd" is an anti-Semitic slur. Like a lot of people, I'd never heard of such a thing, but this thread from Stonekettle (who had also never heard of such a thing) made me take it seriously:

Dinesh D'Souza, of course, didn't believe a word of it. Show me some evidence! I couldn't resist the challenge and gave it about five minutes of Dr. Google:


Unfortunately couldn't find a picture of a Jew from the Bamberg Cathedral.

And then this, which was the clincher, coming as it does from the end of the 19th century, when Adolf Hitler (born 1889) was an impressionable boy:

In a quick translation,
"The eyes too are unique. Thick brows come uncommonly close together, the lids full, the eyes large, dark, sparkling; they often give the impression of a certain heaviness, with a dreamy, thoughtful, melancholy effect in a good case, or in a bad one sleepy, or with half-closed eyes sly. The full lips are a constant as well..."

I could't get @Jack (that's Twitter CEO Jack Dorsey, for those of you who don't indulge, and the platform's final court of judgment and appeal) to accept a link to American-Nazi Stormfront in a 2013 post, a young woman wondering how she can figure out who's safe to date, and I guess I wouldn't want to, really, but it's a good one, showing how alive the stereotype is among some people, though nobody you and I and Dinesh D'Souza know:


As I suggested to Dinesh, perhaps it's only in a certain crowd that the particular thing circulates:
"Echt deutsch" meaning authentic German; I'm suggesting a particularly German style of anti-Semitism, which has mostly disappeared from Germany, for reasons I don't need to explain and do applaud, but maybe not from German communities elsewhere, as that Stormfront girl suggests. And guess who was brought up by the first-generation son of a lowlife German immigrant and known participant in Ku Klux Klan rallies (not everybody knows this, but who the Klan always hated were Jews, Catholics, and blacks in pretty much that order)?

And just for fun, Jewish-born fascist Trump minion Stephen Miller as he appeared to a fellow undergraduate at Duke, according to Vanity Fair:


No comments:

Post a Comment