Wednesday, June 26, 2013

Old Cognitive Dissonance got me

I'm really happy about marriage equality, honest, and yet...

It's just the fact that it's written by somebody who 24 hours earlier stood for the destruction of the Voting Rights Act. What's up with that?

Kennedy can imagine what it's like to feel there's just one person in the world you want to marry and they have the same naughty bits as you do, but he can't imagine what it's like not to have a state-issued photo ID. I can only assume it's because the first is within the experience of wealthy people. After all, the Windsor case itself wasn't a heart-wrencher about hospital visitations—it was about the right not to pay what Republicans call a "death tax" of $363,000, a problem most of us, gay or straight, will never have to suffer through.
Swing vote.  Taylor Jones via Cagle Cartoons.
Quick round of Which Would You Rather:

Owe $363,000 in estate taxes or be deprived of the right to vote? I'd want to know if I take the first one, how much will I have left over? No, wait, I don't think that will be necessary. Though if the only reason was my sexual orientation it would be extremely unfair. But I can't believe that constitutional principle demands option 2.

No comments:

Post a Comment