Friday, October 23, 2020

For the Record: Debate Takes

 

The Debate (2017), by the Filipino painter Gerry Joquico, via ArtAnton.


Earlier in the evening, I had a kind of kerfuffle with our dear friend Bos over the framing of our attack on Trump's China business, where I think the prevailing rhetoric emphasizes the points that aren't important at all for the sake of a sound bite that really doesn't end up meaning anything:



I had a Singapore checking account for a couple of years after I came back to the States, and I really didn't mean any harm.







I think I got that last bit wrong—the financial disclosure he has to submit as president doesn't ask you to name your banks, so he wasn't even really hiding it. Except in the sense that he was hiding his income tax filings, which The Times now has.




Which is what we need to focus on. Not the fact that he paid taxes in Cbina or had a bank account, but the weird thing he did with the account after he's supposedly stopped using it.

<
And then a couple of points from the debate itself. Speaking of taxes...




And of the "caged children" that Trump wants to blame on Obama, and Biden seems unable to explain clearly, maybe because he thinks it's too complicated:





The finale



And racism in the morning-after spin






Bonus: My judgment on how Giuliani was just tucking in his shirt when Sasha Baron Cohen filmed him rushing into a bedroom with a blonde babe:



No comments:

Post a Comment