Sunday, March 31, 2019

For the Record: Channel Your Paranoia

Not waving but drowning, via Dr. Sophie Hay.

I went to a lot of political meetings in my youth, which is as I've noted somewhere one reason I can never truly get behind Bernie (every meeting had one, barking a bit, a few years older than the rest of us and deeply convinced of his rightness, never entertaining an idea he hadn't already had, dismissive of the hippies and shouting down the women), and it came to be a personal signature thing I would do to tell the others to "channel your paranoia"—limit the range of things you're going to be panicky about to those you've got a plan for, not that you're accepting the other awfulnesses, but you're not going to look as if you're desperate and drowning.

Nobody really paid any attention, usually. But while I'm up, I want to post a little experimentation I've been doing on the Twitter on the tone with which one talks about Trump, meant in the first place to sound less "hysterical" without minimizing the horror of what's going on:










And then later on, when I'd spent a shameful amount of the day on the Twitter (too rainy for my usual Beethovenesque Sunday walk), some feedback from a recent follower: Knowing how crazed I've felt, I was kind of surprised to be treated as a valuable voice of reason, different from all the madmen:




I think what I've been doing right for goodhearted but skeptical guys like this are (1) maintaining a sense of humor about Trump and his evident incompetence, without losing the sense of how much damage he's capable of causing all the same, (2) maintaining a "cynical" awareness that the broader Republican plan hasn't really changed at all, and is a longer-term if less immediately terrifying threat, and (3) holding on to some kind of optimistic trust that this double emergency doesn't have to be really, yet, the end of the republic.

Thoughts?

No comments:

Post a Comment