Wednesday, February 13, 2019

Literary Corner: Very, Very on Its Way

Image via Pixabay.



I Can't Say I'm Happy
by Donald J. Trump

I. I Can't Say I'm Happy
I can't say I'm thrilled,
but the wall is getting built regardless,
because we're doing other things
beyond what we're talking about here.
I have to study it.
I'm not happy about it.
It's not doing the trick,
but I'm adding things to it.
Am I happy at first glance?
I just got to see it.
The answer is no.
I'm not. I'm not happy.

II. You Know What It's Called, Right?
It's called with setting the stage.
We're setting the table. We're doing
whatever we have to do, the wall's
being built, it'll continue. It's going
at a rapid pace. The Rio Grande,
it's happening, go check it out.
III. It’s Going to Be a Great, Powerful Wall
People will not be able to get through
that wall very easily, and I think you see that.
I think you see it happening. We have other
things happening which people aren’t talking
about, but we have a lot of funds for a
lot of other things and with the wall
they want to be stingy, but we have options
that most people don’t really understand.
IV. The Wall Is Very, Very on Its Way. 
It’s happening as we speak.
We’re building as we speak
in the most desperately needed areas. 
And it’s a big wall. It’s a strong wall.
As we review the new proposal from Congress,
 I can promise you this: I will never waver
from my sacred duty to defend this nation and its people.
It’s a wall that people aren’t
going through very easy.
You’d have to be in extremely
good shape to get over this one.
They would be able to climb
Mt. Everest a lot easier, I think.

It's so winsome, almost endearing, the way he's working to square this circle, of explaining the totality of his defeat here—the way his Art of the Deal has taken him from rejecting Pelosi's offer of $1.6 billion for his special project through taking the entire country hostage for five weeks to accepting, after all this drama, $1.375 billion—in a way that's congruent with the understanding that he can't be defeated, even by the treachery of Mitch McConnell.

So he hasn't been defeated! In fact the wall, far from being scrubbed, is now going to be better than ever; it's more unscalable than Everest!

And it's happening as we speak! All his enemies have managed to do is show what nasty people they are, which has made him sad, as one naturally is when colleagues fail to #BeBest, but it doesn't affect his plans at all (apparently there's $881 million lying around in Defense Department funds for combating drug smuggling that could be used for fencing, which could bring his score up over $2 billion).

Which you'd expect would work on the "base", of course, because they've never demanded rationality, but this time it's not that clear even to him, or at least to the staff, Baker and Haberman are reporting:
As he inched closer to reluctantly accepting a bipartisan spending compromise without the money he demanded for his border wall, Mr. Trump offered no acknowledgment on Wednesday that his pressure tactics had failed even as aides sought to minimize the damage by tamping down criticism on the right.
One call was made to Lou Dobbs, a favorite of Mr. Trump’s whose Fox News show he often tries to catch live. Another was placed to Sean Hannity, the Fox host who regularly talks with the president. The message: The president deserved support because he still forced concessions that he would never have gotten without a five-week partial government shutdown.
As I've been saying they don't care if he's exposed as a racist, far from it! They don't care if he's shown to be cruel or abusive, they're not upset if he's ignorant or dumb, they don't mind if the policy doesn't work or if he's enriching himself or he's altogether a crook, but when he looks like a pathetic loser they're going to turn. It won't be easy, or it hasn't been easy, because the reserves of self-deception are immense, but that's what it's going to take, and it will happen.

No comments:

Post a Comment