Friday, October 21, 2016

Donald Trump, Dada Comedian


I wonder what he meant by that? I mean, I realize it's a reference to the zombie wingnut lie that Hillary Clinton was fired from her job as a staff attorney with the House Judiciary Committee during its Watergate inquiries in 1973, which of course she wasn't, but how does it work as a punchline? The form suggests that the Watergate investigation was especially corrupt so that HRC had to be extremely corrupt to fall out of favor with it, which is an unconventional view of the Watergate investigation. As in "Donald Trump is such a welcher the Mafia sued him for breach of contract."

And strangely enough, half or more of his routine at the Al Smith Dinner last night had this strange quality of inappositeness to the punch line or, as laypeople might put it, they weren't jokes.

Or alternatively, it's an entirely new kind of joke, one that just joys in pointlessness. That's probably why the audience is booing, because it's just too avant-garde, like the premiere of the Rite of Spring in 1913.

If I'm getting this right, we could soon be seeing comedians trying out one-liners like these:
A Catholic, a Jew, and a Muslim walk into a bar. What a mistake! I mean it was a disaster! Never should have happened, and it won't happen when I'm president, believe me.
Your mama's so fat, she's disgusting. Seriously, it's horrible how she's let herself go, I'm sorry, I know I'm not supposed to say that kind of thing. But I always tell it like it is.
Take my wife--no, really, I was getting ready to trade her in anyway.
I was in this restaurant the other day, there was a fly in my soup, I called the waiter over. "What's this fly doing in my soup?" "It looks senselessly overactive and irritable," he says, "I'd guess it's doing some kind of meth." So I had him fired.
Q: Why did the chicken cross the road? A: To take your job and rape your daughters. And some of them, I assume, are good chickens.
Image via Geek Tyrant.
More from Steve.

No comments:

Post a Comment