Saturday, January 23, 2016

Winter music

Image by WhoCares7 at Deviant Art. If you embiggen you can see that the fences in the middleground are musical staff notation.
By pure and fairly extraordinary coincidence, I'm not the only one who has brought together Sarah Palin and late Beethoven: The pianist Jeremy Denk interviewed her in October 2008 on the subject of the piano sonata op. 106 ("Hammerklavier"). I'M NOT KIDDING (it's just possible that somebody else was kidding, though ;-)). Everybody needs to read it.

Not sure I want to commit myself to listening to the whole Hammerklavier in the middle of a blizzard; I found a video of Denk playing the last sonata, op. 111, instead, which should be just about perfect:



And for afters, Jun Nishio's Midi transcription of the opening section of Stravinsky's Rite of Spring, for airhorn samples:




No comments:

Post a Comment