Friday, October 31, 2014

I for one welcome our new DJ overlords

Niv Bavarsky, Zombie DJ.
David Brooks is taking Halloween off, and turned his space over to one of those Google experiments analogous to the self-driving car, for an entirely automated piece composed by his Gmail account.
Verbatim David Brooks, "Our Machine Masters", October 31 2014:
Some days I think nobody knows me as well as Pandora. I create a new music channel around some band or song and Pandora feeds me a series of songs I like just as well. In fact, it often feeds me songs I’d already downloaded onto my phone from iTunes. Either my musical taste is extremely conventional or Pandora is really good at knowing what I like.
I'd say the two options kind of feed off of each other. Also, I'd kill myself if I felt that way.


I don't actually use Pandora, but Google's Blogger has very interesting ideas about me: just sent me (over at a great post from Alicublog) an ad for hemorrhoid cream (I don't have hemorrhoids) in German, with a message in German, several words transliterated into the Cyrillic alphabet and one word in Russian, and a grammatical breakdown in the middle:


No more Pain
Venapro Hemorrhoid Treatment IS
Ъ homeopathic Method for those,
they're dying
need to
Healing ъв painful
Hemorrhoids анд Itchiness куик
анд Secure.
(where the "ъ" is used as in Bulgarian to represent a central low-mid vowel /ɤ/ or /ɐ/)

No comments:

Post a Comment